Thursday, November 29, 2007

Planes, Trains, or Automobiles

This is the question I have to ask about how to get back to Smallville for Christmas. Do I fly, drive, or take the train.

I used to fly all the time. My parrot would go in a cat carrier and slide under the seat in front of me. But the government is worried about the bird flu so I can't take her on flights anymore.

For the last three trips I've driven. Last Thanksgiving I carpooled with a friend in New York. Last Christmas I rented an SUV so I could bring my new Segway back. This Thanksgiving I rented a Prius. It's a 21 hour drive no matter what. Any time I shave off the trip, for whatever reason, gets lost by pulling over for naps.

I was thinking about leaving Gandolf with a bird sitter this Christmas and taking a train back. But the closest the train comes to Smallville is about an hour away, stops between three and four o'clock in the morning, costs more than renting a car and takes even longer.

I haven't ridden a train before so I'm still tempted. It's just asking someone to drag themselves out of bed at some gawdawful hour to pick me up isn't really me.

Before I write it off completely let me see what plane tickets cost this close to Christmas.


I waited too long. The plane tickets got me, too. There's so many people grabbing those last few seats that I had to restart several times.

No comments: