Monday, October 01, 2007

I hate sleep

I think the term I'm looking for would be "somniac inertia" or some such nonsense. It's meant to apply Newton's First Law of Motion to a state of wakefulness. A person at rest wants to stay at rest and a person awake wants to stay awake.

At least that's how it works for me. On weekends, if I wake up before 10:00 then I feel I have somehow failed. Getting out of bed is always an ordeal. I tried setting my alarm clock to a country music station to force myself out of bed in a hurry. It works, but starting your day in a frothing berserker rage isn't conducive to having a good day. My new alarm clock has two alarms set 31 minutes apart. When the first one shuts off I get a minute of silence to let me know that I've been there for half an hour before it goes off again. It also projects the time on the ceiling above me so I can't miss it.

Then at night I have the exact opposite problem. I'm working on a project, I'm reading a book, I'm watching some DVD, I really don't want to go to bed. I've got stuff to do.

Part of the problem is that my natural sleep cycle doesn't mesh with that of the business world. I'd sleep all day and work all night if it were up to me. Or at least switch me to a 28 hour day.

If you think this is nuts then you probably shouldn't hear my rant about how much a waste of time I think food is. Just give me a box of "Bachelor Chow" and I'd be happy. 100% of your daily nutritional requirements. Available now in six artificial flavors. Makes it's own gravy when mixed with water.

No comments: