Friday, August 17, 2007

Concert review: Weird Al

I don't go to many concerts. They just cost waaaay too much. I once won tickets to an MC Hammer concert. A friend took me to a free concert of a bunch of heavy metal bands. But the only ones I've paid money to see have been Weird Al and Weird Al.

Last night was my second Weird Al concert. The first one was back in Kansas city about seven years ago. It was an outdoor venue, my seat wasn't that good but some better ones were open for me to move too. As the concert was about to being the skies opened and it poured for about an hour. We all moved to shelter and waited. Barely anyone left. I bought an extra ticket with the intent of taking a date. I couldn't find anyone to go with me.

This time was indoors at the Warner Theater in downtown DC. I considered buying a second ticket but didn't since I knew it would go to waste.

Weird Al spends the first third or so of the concert changing outfits between every song. While he changes they show clips from the various TV shows and movies he's either appeared in or been mentioned on. Then he switches to a medley of his less popular songs. Then back to costumes later on. Applaud long enough and he will come back out.

For clips and interviews from AlTV go to http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Al+TV&hl=en

For "The Saga Begins be brought out Darth Vader and eleven members of the 501st. The 501st. You know, Vader's Fist? STORMTROOPERS! They stood at attention at first but as the song went on you see them start bobbing their heads. By the end they were rockin' out. Vader lit up his light saber and was waving it in the air like a lighter.
During the line "And in the end some gungan's died..." someone shouted "NOT ENOUGH!"

There's enough people who have been to several of his concerts to know how things work. During "Fat" he wears the fat suit. When he jumps the audience is supposed to do a little hop

Part of his encore was a song based on an "interview" with Michael Stipe where they agree to do a duet. Stipe says "Everyone has cellphones. I mean come on" or something to that effect. Al turns it into a song. So everyone brings out their cellphone, makes it glow, and waves it in the air.

Anyway, next time he's in your area you want to go to his concert. There were people there ranging in age from 90-something to only 8.

I'd also pay to see "They Might be Giants" or an "Oingo Boingo" reunion tour.

No comments: