Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bumpersticker 4

I know, I haven't posted the explainations of Bumperstickers 1-3 yet. One is written but I'm not ready to post it. Two and three I haven't touched yet. I just felt like writing number 4.

Bumpersticker #4 - Science: It's about how, not who.

This is one of my favorites. Coming from Kansas I've had to put up with the state school board's regular bouts with idiocy. Luckily I was out of high school before it really got started. Yeah, I know, if I got out that long ago I'd be the patent holder on the zero or something.
The idiocy I refer to is the Kansas School Board's ongoing struggle with Creationists and how to include the idea that the whole of creation was made by from nothingness by a huge, elderly, caucasion male with a flowing white beard and dressed in robes who may or may not be God. Ok, I exaggerate a bit. Creationists want science teachers to teach what they call Intelligent Design. Intelligent Design is the idea that there was an intelligent being who created everything or at least guided creation. Some Creationists are willing to say that evolution was guided by this being while others want to say that everything was created as is.
The debate goes around and around. Scientists talk about how there's no evidence to support the Creationists' desire for a creator. Creationists talk about the complexity of the eye or the uselessness of an undeveloped wing to say that they had to be planned and built as is.
This debate is going to go on for centuries still to come. My comments so far probably give you a good idea where I come down on the issue.

The bumpersticker simply tries to say that the science classroom isn't the place for this subject to be covered. Teachers have enough trouble covering the proven hows of the natural world without having to add the burden of who. Leave that to the philosophy class with the rest of the thought exercises.

I could get into my definition of the word "miracle" and the idea of "God's Toolbox", but I'll leave that for another time.

No comments: